Wednesday, February 9, 2011

May 2010: Sir Ken Robinson: Bring on the Learning Revolution! Blog Post


May 2010: Sir Ken Robinson: Bring on the Learning Revolution!
            In the beginning of this talk, he briefly mentions Al Gore and his talk on the climate crisis, which is largely due to global warming. Ken continues to talk about a second climate crisis; however, it does not have to do with natural resources, but human resources. He is simply stating that we are making poor use of our talents. Later on in the talk, he compares natural talents to natural resources. Both are hidden away and to find them you need to dig deep. I think that this is an awesome comparison because I find it true.  He believes that Education should surface these talents and help people find what they love best, but it does not. Most of the time Education pushes away this natural talents, or in some cases prevents people from finding them. I also really liked his idea that there are two types of people: some who love what they do and some who hate what they do. Later in the video, he goes to say that if you are doing something you love, an hour goes by fast; if you do not love what you do, an hour seems like an hour.  I agree 100% with this statement because I love to teach and to me the day goes by fast, but some people do not like their job and complain that their day goes on forever.
            The education system today needs to change their direction because it is turning everything into one big competition. Parents are fighting for land to ensure their children attend the best schools in the area. Teachers are competing within schools and between schools to get the best grades. Instead of creating competition, why not work together and focus all of their attention to the students. I know that there is this unsaid competition going on within schools and for a new teacher about to enter this field, I am nervous because I do not want to stray away from my own principles. I believe it is important to encourage students to be whatever they want to be. Growing up, our teachers told us that we could be anything we wanted to be, and I believed them. Sixteen years later, I am still doing what makes me happy, becoming a teacher. The brief story about the fireman made me sad because I think it is terrible for anyone to say that someone cannot be whatever they want to be. As a teacher, it is important for us to encourage our student’s dreams and desires and teach them how to pursue their dreams in a creative and individualistic way.
http://www.ted.com/talks/lang/eng/sir_ken_robinson_bring_on_the_revolution.html

No comments:

Post a Comment