Monday, July 25, 2011

Day 1

Today was our first full day at Camp Pine Knot. Due to the weather, we decided to take our hike right after breakfast. So I put on pants and grabbed my rain jacket and I was ready for our fist hike. We were able to get a tour of the House Boat where Mrs. Durant used to stay during black fly season. I thought it was a lot nicer than some of the cabins in the camp. While we were leaving, I decided to walk around the outside of the house than the inside. While walking, I saw a huge spider and had to turn around and find a different route off of the House Boat. That was my first encounter with nature. During our hike, Courtney and I decided to try our hardest to identify different trees in the forest. The first tree that we identified a tree was a Beech tree, but that was relativity easy. Our second attempt at identifying a tree was not as successful. We originally identified a White Pine tree as a Pitch Pine tree, where Beth then had to give us the news that it was very unlikely that we had found a Pitch Pine tree. The rest of the hike was a success and we were able to see the Kirby house, where I would eventually like to stay one week in the summer time on a vacation trip.

The second huge encounter with nature today was with the flies. Once we got to the Kirby house, there were tons of flies. They were all over Courtney and I. Thankfully, we had long pants and jackets on so I imagine that we were able to survive the experience without any bug bites, so that's a plus! I was just in shock because I have never seen that many flies in one particular area.

I would like the rain to stop because I am patiently waiting to grab my tube and sunbath on the lake. It looks so peaceful and I'm ready to relax in this wonderful place!

No comments:

Post a Comment